Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Polenta with Kale and Beans

The process of making this meal went perfectly! It all started with Wegmans, like all of my meals do, but this time they actually had the cheese I was looking for and it was even imported from Valle d'Aosta! I didn't have a lot of time to cook this week, and this meal was the perfect choice. It is very simple and only had 8 ingredients, 3 of which were kosher salt, water, and olive oil which I have learned are in every single Italian recipe.  The first step to this recipe, as I mentioned in a previous post, was to soak the beans overnight. I forgot to do this a few days in a row, postponing my meal a few times, and I promised my dad that I would actually finally cook tonight. At about 2 am last night I woke up and realized that I had yet again forgotten to soak my beans, so this meal almost didn't happen.

The first step today was to cook the soaked beans. I simply put them on the stove in water, olive oil, and fresh bay leaves.

To make the polenta I boiled water with olive oil, kosher salt, and bay leaves. I then slowly sprinkled in the polenta while whisking it all. My family eats polenta all the time, but I have never made it before and I was really surprised at the amount of water (5 cups) that is needed to cook just one cup of polenta. This was the creamiest most delicious polenta I have ever tasted, and I plan to tell my dad about the olive oil, salt and bay leaves so the next time he makes polenta it is just as creamy.

While the polenta was cooking I cooked the kale with olive oil and salt until  it was wilted, and then added the beans and a little of the water they cooked in.  

When everything was cooked I mixed shredded fontina cheese in with the polenta, and served it all!

To make the kale I was actually supposed to cook meat and then add the kale, which would cook in the meats oils rather than olive oil, but being vegetarian I obviously didn't want to do this. I was a little concerned that the kale wouldn't cook the same way or that it would be bland but it was a success and I am very happy with the way this dish turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment