Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mozzarella Cheese

The first step was to heat the milk up and add citric acid and rennet. It formed these curds that look a little like yogurt.

I then ladled the curds out, and pressed out the excess whey.

I placed the curds in a bowl, and poured 180 degree whey over them to melt the curds. I then used spoons to push the curds into one large curd, and picked it up out of the water. At this point you are supposed to be able to stretch the mozzarella but mine broke apart, so I decided to break it into two smaller curds and try with hot why again. This part of the process was frustrating for me because it never really stretched, no matter how hot the whey was.
Once I had stretched it to the best of my abilities, I formed it into little balls and placed them in cold water.

The end product was tasty, but not as smooth as mozzarella usually is.

We used it on pizza for dinner. It only melted on one of the two pizzas, but it tasted great on both!

1 comment:

  1. These pics really capture the process! What made you want to make your own fresh cheese? Would you endeavor to do it again? ;)

    ReplyDelete