Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ricotta Cheese

The ricotta cheese worked very well for me. The recipe is a lot simpler than the mozzarella recipe, and there is less room to mess it up. You heat the milk, citric acid and salt to 195 degrees, and the curds that it forms are much smaller than those in the mozzarella.
I then hung the curds over my sink in a cheese cloth for about 45 minutes to drain the excess whey.

The resulting cheese was delicious. It was creamy and not too salty like some store bought ricottas. I was very happy with the way it turned out. I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet, but my dad says it would be perfect for cannoli.

1 comment:

  1. You can't go wrong with a homemade cannoli!! I have not attempted ricotta yet but you make it sound easy. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete