Friday, March 11, 2011

Ligurian Meal

My meal from Liguria was much simpler and didn't take as long as the meals I have previously made. While making this meal I felt a lot more confident, and only asked for help to get it on the table faster, rather than because I didn't know what to do.
This soup was the best dish I have made so far on this journey, even my brother complimented it and that isn't a regular occurrence. It was interesting how small I was supposed to cut all of the vegetables, and how long everything was supposed to stay on the stove. My mom was worried that I was overcooking the veggies, but the long amount of time on the stove led to an amazing soup with a very flavorful broth.
This crostata, like the soup, was delicious, but it was a slightly rockier road to get there. The filling called for a large amount of milk, and when I added it the filling became very soupy and runny. Because the filling needed to go inside of a crust, I was worried it wouldn't work and would just run out the sides. In addition to the runny filling, the cookbook had a way shorter baking time than the time it actually took to cook. I checked it many times, and was really concerned because it didn't appear to be cooking. Eventually the raw rice in the filling absorbed the extra milk and it baked into a golden brown crostata. It tasted heavenly. It was like a quiche, but 10 times better.

No comments:

Post a Comment