Friday, February 11, 2011

Sicilian Menu!

I've decided on the menu for my meal from Sicilia. While looking through my cookbook I noticed that they use a lot of fava beans, eggplant, sheep's milk cheese, artichoke and citrus, which is consistent with my research of this region. I also noticed they fry a lot of their food, which is interesting as I didn't find anything about this while researching Sicilia.

My menu is as follows:
  1. Antipasti: Caciu all'Argintera (Fried Cheese) The Sicilian name translates to "silversmith's cheese," which is said to be in reference to the color of the cheese once cooked.
  2. Primo: Busiati col Pesto Trapanese (Busiati with Pesto) This type of pasta gets it's name from the Italian word Busu, which means knitting needle. It is made in Trapani, Sicilia by wrapping the dough around a knitting needle to get it's shape.
  3. Contorno: Involtini di Melanzane (Eggplant Roll-Ups)
  4. Dolce: Budino di Limone (Lemon Pudding)
I won't be making a secondo course because I don't eat meat, and the formaggio e frutta section of my cookbook has no recipes from Sicilia. 

I would have liked to make Palline di Bucce d'Arancia (orange-peel balls) for dolce because they are supposed to aid with digestion, but unfortunately they require 4 days of soaking orange peels in water and I am cooking tomorrow night.

Shopping List!!!
  • fresh caciocavallo cheese (1 lb.)
  • fresh oregano
  • blanched almonds
  • ripe plum tomatoes (10)
  • fresh basil
  • breadcrumbs
  • eggplants (4)
  • fresh tomato puree
  • Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • crustless bread
  • grated pecorino
  • flat-leaf parsley
  • sugar cubes
  • ripe organic lemons (3)
  • lemon leaves

3 comments: